Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In Theory & In Practise

During my engineering studies, I had to undergo three weeks of Industrial Training. The purpose of this training was to gain insight on how the things that we were studying in college were actually being used in the Industry. The training had different meaning for different people. For some it was an opportunity to go to places they hadn't been to before, like my friends from Mechanical who spent their winter of 2004 in Haridwar visiting the BHEL facility, trying a hand at photography and God knows what. For some it meant to visit a friend's home, a friend who thanks to his/her contacts had arranged the Industrial Training for you. For some, it was a time to laze out at home as usual, getting the  "Successfully Completed Training" certificate from the company without really going even one single day and then overjoyed on getting an "A" for three weeks of partying with friends. For me, it was about getting up early in Winter, catching a bus to visit facilities 40-50 miles from my home; braving the cold, the dust of coal and then the response of the clerk at the facility to somehow learn how the electrical equipments I had studied about were being applied in the Coal Mining Industry. I managed a "B" for the 1 credit that the training carried even though the lecturer who took my viva was convinced that I had actually been to those facilities and seen things in the report that I had written . (FYI: Many reports submitted were merely ones that people got from the companies imparting the training)

Anyway, for me the training was a learning experience. I realized that theoretical knowledge has to be supplemented by practical knowledge and vice versa. While the foreman who was telling me knew a hell lot about the the faults that occur and what they do to repair, he was unable to answer some questions. Reading my book back home I found out the answer to some of the questions I had. I realized that being an engineer you need both practical as well as theoretical knowledge.

 I also learnt that getting things done is more about managing people than anything else.  But the reason why I have talked about the training is to emphasize on theoretical as well as practical learning.

Now as the first phase of the web app I was building is nearing to a close, I was reminiscing on what have I learnt so far. I have gained confidence in understanding requirements and some level of confidence on how to code to get those requirements done. But most of my coding has involved Googling a particular problem and finding out a solution or trying out a few things. But after building a complete Web App I am still not confident of how much I know about Web Development using ASP.NET. Just the other day I was going through a ASP.NET book and realized that I have managed to learn how to do things. But not what was going on behind the scenes. I was just like the foreman knowing what to do, not knowing why we are doing it.

This approach will never allow me grow and be competitive. So I decided to refresh the concepts from the books once again. If you are not reading to understand the underlying concepts, change your approach or stagnate!!

2 comments:

  1. You know what surprised me the most about your post today? It's the use of word 'Practise' -- quite British, typical Sass!

    Anyways, it was a good read.

    -ds

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT Pathshala Private Limited is an initiative of Myzeal IT Solutions and driven by a sustainable vision under which, the company is committed to provide robust and industry ready winter training and education to candidates in different technology domains like Java, PHP, Android, .NET, Software testing etc. Our modules cover an advanced spectrum of topics. The curriculums are built by professional software developers that are available in both text and video formats.
    Key benefits of Our Winter Training:
    • Training Provided by CMMi L3 ready IT Company
    • 100% Job assistance and In-House Job Opportunity
    • Opportunity to work upon Real On-going projects
    • Interaction with Industry Experts
    • Experience Letter on Training completion
    • Small Batches to focus on Each students
    • Project Source Code available in CD
    • Certification on Training Completion

    Call our career and job experts: +91- 9650004158/8826299334 | Reach Us: H-110, Sector: 63, Noida-201301

    ReplyDelete